Perhaps the biggest question on any prospective parent’s mind is “How much does adoption cost?” It’s true, adoption is not cheap. Check out our previous blog post, Saving for Adoption in Maryland, so some helpful ways to help fund your growing family.
Here in Maryland, the average cost of adoption ranges from $20,000 to $50,000 and varies depending upon the circumstances of the adoption.
Birth Mother Expenses
“In most states, adoptive parents can pay a birth family’s reasonable medical, legal, and counseling expenses,” explains says Colleen Marea Quinn, chairman of the Birth Parents Rights Committee of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.
- Medical Expenses: “When a Birth Mother goes to an adoption professional, she is typically in a situation where she will need some financial support for her pregnancy-related expenses, if allowed by state law,” explains the Adoption Network Law Center. If the birth mother does not have insurance, medical expenses, hospital costs, and reasonable expenses for transportation for medical care are covered by adoptive families, according to House Bill 563, which was signed into law by Governor Martin O’Malley in 2013.
- Legal Expenses: House Bill 563 also requires adoptive families to cover all legal expenses. “Often, legal and medical expenses are paid AFTER the revocation period expires to prevent families paying for expenses and losing the opportunity to adopt the baby,” says Dean Kirschner, Ph.D., LCSW-C.
- Counseling Expenses: House Bill 563 also covers reasonable charge or fee for adoption counseling.
- Living Expenses: “In some circumstances, living expenses are also paid,” says Dr. Kirschner, “if [a birth mother] can not work because of a condition directly related to the pregnancy – and prescribed by a physician.”
Adoption Placement Fee
Adoption Makes Family uses a sliding scale for the adoption placement fees based on several factors, including household income. You may contact Adoption Makes Family to learn where you are on the sliding scale.
Have More Questions?
The professionals at Adoption Makes Family have many years of experience in adoption services, and will walk you through every step of the adoption process. We are a non-profit (501-C3) licensed adoption agency based in Maryland, and our experienced adoption counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call Us Now at (410) 683-2100
If you have any questions about saving for adoption, you can contact us by phone at 410-683-2100, by e-mail at email@example.com or use our online contact form.
- Fried, Michele. “Think You Can’t Afford Adoption? Here Are 10 Surprising Ways to Pay for It.” The Penny Hoarder, The Penny Hoarder, 14 Nov. 2017, www.thepennyhoarder.com/save-money/resources-for-adopting-a-child/.
- Resmer, Lori. “25 Ways To Save Money For Adoption.” Fund Your Adoption, 23 Jan. 2018, fundyouradoption.tv/25-ways-to-save-money-for-adoption/.