After making the difficult decision to create an adoption plan, perhaps the biggest question left for most birth mothers is “How do I find adoptive parents?” But not just any adoptive parents – an “adoptive family that best matches the adoption plan,” writes Haley Kirkpatrick, Adoption.com.
Before You Can Choose Adoptive Parents, You Need to Do Your Research
“All adoptions involve some level of ‘red tape,’” says Katie Overstreet, an adoption agency professional. It’s important to understand the process. Do your research so you know what to expect. Of course, an adoption professional is a great resource to educate you about the process, and Adoption Makes Family is here to help. Our staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you would like our advice or just need to talk.
24-Hour Hotline 410-683-2100
When you call Adoption Makes Family, you’ll speak directly to an adoption counselor. We will start where you are, listening to your specific questions and responding to your individual needs. We will help you work through your decisions, providing advice and support as needed.
Choose an Adoption Agency
Having someone to guide you through the process can make all the difference.
“There are thousands of adoption agencies, adoption attorneys, and adoption facilitators that can help you through the adoption journey,” says Adoptions from the Heart. However, finding the right adoption agency isn’t always so easy. You need to find an agency that feels right. An agency that will support you through the adoption process. Your adoption agency will be your partner along your journey, from that first phone call through placement, and beyond.
“If you are faced with an unplanned pregnancy and considering adoption, there are lots of agencies to choose from all over the country,” says Jessie McNaughton, Family Connections, Inc. “Working with a small, local adoption agency rather than a large out-of-state agency has many benefits.”
- Local adoption agencies are able to screen local adoptive parents themselves, using both a detailed Application and Home Study.
- When working with a local adoption agency, birth parents are able to meet potential adoptive parents face-to-face and connect in a way that just isn’t possible online or over the phone.
- If you want to remain involved in your child’s life (Open Adoption), then it is beneficial to work with a local Maryland adoption agency, like Adoption Makes Family.
The Adoption Makes Family Process Helps Birth Mothers Find the Right Adoptive Parents
Adoption Makes Family is a non-profit (501-C3) licensed adoption agency based in Maryland founded to meet the needs of birth parents and adoptive parents in a manner that is sensitive, compassionate, and personal. Our process includes…
- If you decide adoption is right for you, a packet will be sent containing a questionnaire to help us get to know you and identify potential adoptive parents. You may complete the questionnaire on your own or we can help you complete it during our initial meeting.
- Next, you will meet with Dean Kirschner, Executive Director of Adoption Makes Family and adoption counselor, to talk in-depth about your decision to pursue an adoption plan, giving you every opportunity to talk about your options in a non-judgmental, supportive atmosphere.
- Next, we can start to review potential adoptive parent profiles. You will look through adoption books, featuring profiles of the families. Your adoption agency will have screened adoptive parents themselves, using both a detailed Application and Home Study. A home study is a series of interviews and home visits to make sure adoptive parents have the financial, emotional, and psychological capability to raise a child. This allows for more carefully and effectively matched birth and adoptive parents.
- If you decide you would like to meet the prospective families, our next meeting will be with the potential adoptive parents. Depending on how far in advance of your due date you have created your adoption plan, you may be able to have more meetings, either with an adoption counselor alone or with the prospective adoptive parents.
- Once you have met with the prospective adoptive family that meets your criteria (potentially more than once), you may be ready to make a decision. Adoption Makes Family will be there with you every step of the way, providing support, guidance, and counseling as needed.
Allow the professional team at Adoption Makes Family to help and support you through your adoption journey.
If you have any questions, you can contact us by phone at 410-683-2100, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our online contact form.
- “Adoptive Families Blog.” The Benefits of Domestic Adoption, blog.lifetimeadoption.com/adoptivefamilies/the-benefits-of-domestic-adoption.
- Adoptions, Inc. American. “Local Adoption Agencies.” Advantages of Local Adoption Agencies, www.americanadoptions.com/adopt/local_and_regional_adoption_agencies.
- “How to Choose an Adoptive Family .” American Adoptions — America’s Adoption Agency, www.americanadoptions.com/family_profile/choose_adoptive_family.
- McNaughton, Jessie. “Family Connections, Inc. Adoption Blog.” 4 Reasons Birth Mothers Should Use A Local Agency, www.adoptfamilyconnections.org/blog/4-reasons-birth-mothers-should-use-a-local-agency.
- Stevens, Anita. “Family Connections, Inc. Adoption Blog.” Why Use a Local Adoption Agency | Adoption New York, www.adoptfamilyconnections.org/blog/bid/293306/Why-Use-a-Local-Adoption-Agency-Adoption-New-York.