A new baby can be a big financial strain, so it should come as no surprise that money is one of the first things on a birth mother’s mind when she learns she is pregnant. And a lack of financial resources is one of the biggest reasons some birth mothers consider adoption. It also shouldn’t come as a surprise that we often hear the same question – can I get money for adoption in Maryland? And the answer is sort of.
Can I Get Money for Adoption in Maryland?
“When placing a child for adoption, a parent is required to sign legal papers stating that they have not been given money or gifts in exchange for their child,” writes Annaleece Merrill, Adoption.com. It is illegal to receive money for creating an adoption plan. However, a birth mother can receive financial support for certain adoption-related expenses.
“In domestic infant adoption, when a pregnant woman is making an adoption plan for her unborn child, the hopeful adoptive parents will often pay certain expenses on behalf of the pregnant mother,” writes Stacy Stark, Adoption.com. These expenses are regulated by state law and vary from state to state.
What Adoption Expenses are Covered in Maryland?
In Maryland, House Bill 563 allows adoptive families to help cover certain adoption-related expenses, including:
- ALL medical expenses and hospital costs
- ALL legal expenses.
- Reasonable charge or fee for adoption counseling.
- Reasonable expenses for transportation for medical care.
- Reasonable expenses associated with any required court appearance relating to the adoption.
- “In some circumstances, living expenses are also paid,” says Dean Kirschner, Ph.D., LCSW-C, “if you can not work because of a condition directly related to the pregnancy – and prescribed by your physician.”
Once paid, these expenses are non-refundable, even if the adoption plan falls through.
“Often, legal and medical expenses are paid AFTER the revocation period expires to prevent families from paying for expenses and losing the opportunity to adopt the baby,” says Dr. Kirschner.
Do You Have Any Questions About Creating an Adoption Plan?
The adoption specialists at Adoption Makes Family are here to help answer any questions you may have. We are a non-profit (501-C3) licensed adoption agency based in Maryland and our experienced professionals are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call Us Now at (410) 683-2100
Adoption Makes Family spends time getting to know you and your family. We will make sure that your baby is placed with an adoptive family with similar values if you choose. You can take comfort in knowing exactly what type of family your baby will be entering.
If you have any questions, you can contact us by phone at 410-683-2100, by e-mail at email@example.com or use our online contact form.
- “Allowable Adoption Expenses in Maryland.” Jennifer Fairfax, www.jenniferfairfax.com/family-formation-blog/maryland-allowable-adoption-expenses.
- “Do Mothers Get Paid for Adoption in MD?” American Adoptions — America’s Adoption Agency, www.americanadoptions.com/state_adoption/get-paid-for-adoption-maryland?article_id=4972&sitemedia=full.
- Fairfax , Jennifer , and Catelyn Slattery . “Allowable Adoption Expenses in Maryland under New Law.” Jennifer Fairfax, www.jenniferfairfax.com/allowable-adoption-expenses-in-maryland-article.
- Quinn , Colleen Marea . “Birth Mother Expenses: Reimbursement and the Law.” Adoptive Families, 16 Oct. 2017, www.adoptivefamilies.com/how-to-adopt/birth-mother-expenses-failed-adoption/.
- “What are Birth Mother Expenses?” Adoption Network, www.adoptionnetwork.com/what-are-birth-mother-expenses.